The City of Monash is continuing to make Oakleigh a better place to live, work and play with upgrade and redevelopment works to numerous amenities currently underway.
The council has a $31 million Capital Works Budget for 2015-16, with more than $10 million allocated for footpath, road and drainage upgrades.
Works currently in progress include installation of a synthetic sporting pitch and new lighting at Jack Edwards Reserve, home to Oakleigh Canons FC and Chisholm FC, and the upgrade of play equipment at Reg Harris Reserve in Oakleigh East. New features include a basketball half-court, a shade sail over the main play space and natural play elements that encourage imaginative play.
Facilities in the Oakleigh activity centre also continue to improve with redevelopment of the existing public toilet block on Chester St. Expected to be completed in late July, council has spent $493,000 on upgrades including new walls and roof, new toilets and basins and all-accessible facilities for both males and females.
Here are some more improvements recently completed, or currently underway in Oakleigh:
Parks and recreation
- Scammell Reserve: planning and design work for the pavilion upgrade has started with construction to begin in 2017
- Scotchman’s Creek Trail: the 630 metre stretch of path between Stamford and Huntingdale roads was widened in September 2015, improving safety and comfort for cyclists and walkers.
Installation of drinking fountains and dog waste bag dispensers is currently being rolled out in the following Oakleigh parks and reserves:
- Brickmakers Park
- Jack Edwards Reserve
- Scammell Reserve
- Talbot Park
- Princes Highway Reserve
- Reg Harris Reserve.
Oakleigh shopping precinct
- Hanover St carpark: upgrades were completed in March 2016 to include a new asphalt surface, 15 new car spaces and replacement of the existing kerb and channel
- Strengthening Oakleigh Project.
- Atherton Rd: reconstruction of eastern section between Clyde St and Dandenong Rd completed in July 2015.
Road reconstruction and drainage improvements are to be completed in the following streets by June 2016:
- Lever St
- Moller St.
Playground upgrades will commence in 2016-17 in:
- Burlington Square
- Davies Reserve.